Why are people hesitant to go for a colonoscopy?

No routine cancer-screening test brings about more anxiety then a colonoscopy. Not necessarily the worry of results either. It's the test itself that drives people to skip the test. It is invasive, uncomfortable, embarrassing and intimate. It is terribly inconvenient: It takes a day to prepare and a day for the test.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Many patients are afraid of colonoscopy because it's a more invasive screening than other cancer tests. In this video, Sharmila Anandasabapathy, MD, a gastroenterologist, also says the stigma can affect some people.

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

What is the risk of perforation during a colonoscopy or colon polyp removal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
During colon polyp removal a perforation is an injury penetrating a deeper than intended layer, usua...
When should a screening colonoscopy be done before age 50?
Screening colonoscopy is recommended for everyone beginning at age 50 (age 45 and older for African ...
When Should I Get a Colonoscopy?
When Should I Get a Colonoscopy?
Who Should Get a Colonoscopy?
Who Should Get a Colonoscopy?