How should I prepare for a colonoscopy to screen for colorectal cancer?

In preparing for your colonoscopy -- a procedure during which a doctor can closely check the lining of the entire colon (large bowel) -- the colon must be very clean. The day before the test you will change your diet and use a prep kit ordered by your doctor to clean your bowel. Plan for someone to drive you home after the test, as you will receive medicine to relax you. Before the test, tell your provider:
  • The medicines you take regularly, especially if you take a "blood thinner" or aspirin
  • Any allergies you have

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

How much pain will I feel during my colonoscopy?
Dr. Monica S. Borkar, MDDr. Monica S. Borkar, MD
We primarily use conscious sedation, or "twilight," for colonoscopy. Most people tolerate this extre...
What is the risk of perforation during a colonoscopy or colon polyp removal?
There is a risk of a perforation, or a hole in the colon, during colonoscopy, and this is approximat...
Who Should Get a Colonoscopy?
Who Should Get a Colonoscopy?
When Should I Have a Colonoscopy?
When Should I Have a Colonoscopy?