How is a colonoscopy performed?

At a colonoscopy, sedating medication will ensure the patient is relaxed. Some doctors will use general anesthesia. The doctor will insert an instrument called a colonocope into the colon to look for polyps, which can be the beginnings of colon cancer. They can be removed right then and there and, if necessary, tested for cancerous tissue later. The entire exam takes about 30 minutes. Drugs may cause the patient to feel groggy, but there is no physical pain.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

Why should I get a colonoscopy?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Every year, nearly 60,000 die of colon cancer. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller reveals at what a...
How can I prepare myself for a colonoscopy?
To prepare for a colonoscopy—a screening test for cancer or any polyps in your colon that could beco...
When Should I Get a Colonoscopy?
When Should I Get a Colonoscopy?
When Should I Have a Colonoscopy?
When Should I Have a Colonoscopy?