Can I have a colonoscopy without the preparation beforehand?

A colonoscopy may not be performed if you have not completed the proper preparation. It is very important for the doctor performing the exam to have a clear view of the walls of your colon. If the preparation is not done as directed the doctor may have to stop the exam, and you will have to repeat the prep and have another exam at a later date. While the preparation may be uncomfortable, a proper exam allows the doctor to find and remove polyps before they become cancer.
Randall Holcombe, MD
Hematology & Oncology

Unfortunately you cannot have a colonoscopy without the preparation beforehand. While preparing for a colonoscopy is certainly inconvenient, it is absolutely necessary. Your colon must be completely clean before the procedure to allow your doctor to have a clear view of your intestine. Otherwise, he or she may not be unable to detect some polyps and lesions, the procedure itself may take longer, and you may not obtain its intended benefits.  

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

When is a follow-up colonoscopy required after tumor removal?
Monica S. Borkar, MDMonica S. Borkar, MD
A follow-up colonoscopy is done after a tumor is removed from the colon. The repeat colonoscopy ...
How often should I have a colonoscopy?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
After 50, you should have a colonoscopy every 10 years. You should have the test more frequently if ...
When Should I Have a Colonoscopy?
When Should I Have a Colonoscopy?
What Age Should a Person Start Getting a Colonoscopy?