Are colon screenings necessary after colon cancer surgery?

Colon screenings after colon surgery are important, says Ovunc Bardakcioglu, MD, a colon and rectal surgeon at Sunrise Hospital. In this video, he explains what a patient should expect in terms of cancer recurrence. 
Juliet Wilkinson
Oncology Nursing
In a word...absolutely. Unless you had a complete colectomy (every inch of your colon removed surgically), you still have part of a colon and the remaining organ can get cancer or diseased. Routine screening exams will help you keep the remaining colon healthy and disease free.
Individuals who have had colon cancer are at a higher risk of developing colon cancer again. They can also develop polyps postoperatively. Doctors are going to recommend that these people come back in three years and have another colon examination. We are going to want to look at the area where the cancer was removed and make sure there’s not a recurrence in the colon.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer

Facts About Colorectal Cancer, the Third Leading Cause of Cancer Deaths
Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in American men and women separately, according to the American Cancer Society. ...
What is Appendiceal carcinoma?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Appendiceal carcinoma is a rare form of colorectal cancer. It strikes the appendix. The cancer's gro...
Eat This and Ditch That: Help Prevent Colon Cancer
Eat This and Ditch That: Help Prevent Colon CancerEat This and Ditch That: Help Prevent Colon CancerEat This and Ditch That: Help Prevent Colon CancerEat This and Ditch That: Help Prevent Colon Cancer
Some foods can help keep your colon healthy while others can significantly up your risk of colorectal cancer. Find out which foods to add and which to...
Will I Need a Colostomy After My Treatment for Colorectal Cancer?