What can I expect after having colon cancer surgery?

Treatment for colon cancer can cause unwanted things, or side effects. Sometimes after colon cancer surgery, a stoma is needed. A stoma is an opening in the wall of the abdomen that allows waste to pass out of the colon into a special bag worn outside the body. This means that going to the toilet is not necessary. Usually, doctors can remove the stoma after the colon has healed, but some people will always have a stoma.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Treatment

Can I get specialized or targeted therapy for my colon cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Some targeted chemotherapies already exist for colon cancer. In this video, Daniel Labow, MD, an onc...
Why would my doctor recommend surgery if it cannot cure my colon cancer?
In the later stages of colon cancer, surgery cannot usually cure the cancer because it has spread. H...
What Treatments Options Are There for Colon Cancer?
Are Colon Screenings Necessary After Colon Cancer Surgery?