What is a segmental resection?

The most commonly performed colon surgery is a segmental resection, which is often performed laparoscopically. In this procedure, surgeons remove the cancer, a section of normal colon on either side of the cancer, and nearby lymph nodes, and then reattach the sections of the remaining colon. Sometimes a temporary colostomy may be needed for recovery.

A segmental resection is where a part or segment of your bowel is removed during surgery. Segmental resections can be used to treat colon cancer as well as a variety of other colon problems such as diverticulitis.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Treatment

If I have colon cancer, will I need a colostomy?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
Not everyone with colon cancer needs a colostomy. In fact, most patients don’t need a colostomy afte...
Can I get specialized or targeted therapy for my colon cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Some targeted chemotherapies already exist for colon cancer. In this video, Daniel Labow, MD, an onc...
What Is the Succes Rate of Treating Colon Cancer If Caught Early?
Is Colon Cancer Curable?
Is Colon Cancer Curable?