Can eating dark chocolate prevent colon cancer?

You may already know that dark chocolate has been shown to lower blood pressure, decrease cholesterol, and even improve blood flow to your brain. Now, a new animal study suggests that eating cocoa, the raw material in chocolate, may help prevent colon cancer. Apoptosis is a natural process in which your body eliminates unhealthy cells. Compounds in cocoa known as flavonoids may assist in the apoptosis process, destroying cancer cells.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Prevention

What can I eat to reduce my risk of colon cancer?
Colorectal cancer is cancer that starts in either the colon or rectum. It's the third leading cause ...
Should I have my genome typed to prevent colon cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Is genetic testing a way to prevent colon cancer? Perhaps not yet, says oncologist Daniel Labow,...
What Can I Eat to Reduce My Risk of Colon Cancer?
What Other Screening Tools Besides Colonoscopy Are There for Colon Cancer?