What do I need to do before I have a CT colonography?

It is important that the colon and rectum are emptied before this a CT colonography to provide the best images. This is why the preparation for this test is similar to that for a double contrast barium enema or colonoscopy. You will likely be told to follow a clear liquid diet for a day or 2 before the test. You will also be given instructions for taking strong laxatives and/or enemas the night before or morning of the exam. This will probably require you to be in the bathroom quite a bit.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Diagnosis

Why You Shouldn’t Put Off Colonoscopies
Why You Shouldn’t Put Off Colonoscopies
After contracting with a publisher to write The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Victor Hugo procrastinated writing it for more than a year. Finally, six mont...
Can a digital rectal examination detect colorectal cancer?
Although a gloved-finger examination of the rectum is sometimes successful in finding tissue gro...
Is sigmoidoscopy effective in screening for colorectal cancer?
In sigmoidoscopy, an endoscope (a flexible tube) is used to view the rectum and lower part of the la...
How Is Colon Cancer Diagnosed?
How Is Colon Cancer Diagnosed?