Is sigmoidoscopy effective in screening for colorectal cancer?

In sigmoidoscopy, an endoscope (a flexible tube) is used to view the rectum and lower part of the large intestine. The effectiveness of this method as a screening test for colorectal cancer depends on the type of instrument used. The shortest, the rigid sigmoidoscope, is too short to detect colorectal cancers, which usually occur outside its reach. It is no longer recommended for use in colon cancer screening. The two other types, the short flexible fiberoptic sigmoidoscope and the long flexible fiberoptic sigmoidoscope, are longer and therefore more effective.

Sigmoidoscopy does not see all the places where colon cancer can be. Doctors no longer consider it an effective screening test.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Diagnosis

Why You Shouldn’t Put Off Colonoscopies
Why You Shouldn’t Put Off Colonoscopies
After contracting with a publisher to write The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Victor Hugo procrastinated writing it for more than a year. Finally, six mont...
How is colon cancer screening done?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Colonoscopy is the gold standard screening for colon cancer. New screenings involve DNA screening of...
What questions should I ask my doctor about colon cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Treatment for colon cancer starts with a thorough discussion of your options, according to oncologis...
What Basic Tests Can Help Diagnose Colon Cancer?