Is a colonoscopy the only test for colon cancer?

Colonoscopy is still the gold standard for screening for colon cancer. There's new testing that checks stools for tumor cells.

Colonoscopy is not the only test for colon cancer. Depending on a person's needs and history, other strategies for colon cancer screening are available. Other tests, either single or combined, include the following:

• fecal occult blood testing
  • fecal immunochemical testing
  • stool DNA testing
  • sigmoidoscopy
  • virtual colonoscopy

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Diagnosis

Why You Shouldn’t Put Off Colonoscopies
Why You Shouldn’t Put Off Colonoscopies
After contracting with a publisher to write The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Victor Hugo procrastinated writing it for more than a year. Finally, six mont...
How can I tell if my colon cancer is gone after surgery?
Sharla O. Sundberg, MDSharla O. Sundberg, MD
The best way to tell if colon cancer is gone is the pathology, says Sharla Sundberg, MD, from Blake ...
What is the diagnosis for colorectal cancer?
If you have screening test results that suggest cancer or you have symptoms, your doctor must find o...
How Is Colon Cancer Diagnosed?
How Is Colon Cancer Diagnosed?