What resources are available to assess my risk of colon cancer?

We have a resource where you can input your family history, and it’ll come up with specific risk levels -- average, moderate or high. It’s very effective for colon and breast cancers. It also works for melanoma.

There’s an online tool through Ohio State that does the same kind of assessment, looking for hereditary cancers. The National Cancer Institute's cancer.gov Web site has a nice section about different genetic factors that can be associated with different cancers and what kind of features you would look for in a family history that may trigger the need to get tested for certain cancers.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Will I get cancer if there's hereditary colon cancer in my family?
Scott WeissmanScott Weissman
Not necessarily. If there is a hereditary colorectal cancer syndrome in your family, your chance of ...
Are previous treatments for cancer a risk factor for colorectal cancer?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Some studies have found that men who survive testicular cancer seem to have a higher rate of colorec...
The New Age Group at Risk for Colon Cancer
What Role Do Genetics Play in Colon Cancer?