Is race or ethnic background a risk factor for colorectal cancer?

Yes. African Americans have the highest colorectal cancer incidence and mortality rates of all racial groups in the United States. The reasons for this are not yet understood.
Jews of Eastern European descent (Ashkenazi Jews) have one of the highest colorectal cancer risks of any ethnic group in the world. Several gene mutations leading to an increased risk of colorectal cancer have been found in this group. The most common of these DNA changes, called the I1307K APC mutation, is present in about 6% of American Jews.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Will heredity nonpolyposis colorectal carcinoma mean I'll get colon cancer?
Heredity nonpolyposis colorectal carcinoma (HNPCC) is a heredity gene mutation. It is also known as ...
Is colon cancer more common among men or women?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Colon cancer affects men and women at essentially the same rate. It is estimated that 67,000 new cas...
What Increases My Risk for Colon Cancer?
Is Colon Cancer Caused By Bacteria?
Is Colon Cancer Caused By Bacteria?