Are previous treatments for cancer a risk factor for colorectal cancer?

Some studies have found that men who survive testicular cancer seem to have a higher rate of colorectal cancer and some other cancers. This might be due to the treatments they have received.
Several studies have suggested that men who received radiation therapy to treat prostate cancer may have a higher risk of rectal cancer because the rectum receives some radiation during treatment. Most of these studies are based on men treated in the 1980s and 1990s, and the effect of more modern radiation methods on rectal cancer risk is not clear. There are many possible side effects of prostate cancer treatment that men should consider when making treatment decisions. Some doctors recommend that the risk of rectal cancer should be considered as one of those possible side effects.
The American Cancer Society and several other medical organizations recommend earlier screening for people with increased colorectal cancer risk. These recommendations differ from those for people at average risk.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

How does lack of sleep affect colon cancer risk?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
There was one study in 2011 that showed a correlation between lack of sleep and adenomatous (or ...
What increases my risk for colon cancer?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
Patients that are found to have colon polyps are at increased risk for the development of colorectal...
What Increases My Risk for Colon Cancer?
What Are the Risk Factors for Colon Cancer?