Will I get cancer if there's hereditary colon cancer in my family?

Scott Weissman
Clinical Genetics

Not necessarily. If there is a hereditary colorectal cancer syndrome in your family, your chance of getting colon or other cancers is elevated ONLY if you have also inherited the susceptibility that is in your family. If you do not have the hereditary risk (also called gene mutation), then your risk of getting cancer is average (e.g., a person’s baseline risk of getting colon cancer is 5% over the course of their life).

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Is heavy alcohol use a risk factor for colorectal cancer?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Colorectal cancer has been linked to the heavy use of alcohol. At least some of this may be due to t...
Will heredity nonpolyposis colorectal carcinoma mean I'll get colon cancer?
Heredity nonpolyposis colorectal carcinoma (HNPCC) is a heredity gene mutation. It is also known as ...
What Role Do Genetics Play in Colon Cancer?
The New Age Group at Risk for Colon Cancer