Should I get a colonoscopy if I have a family history of colon cancer?

If you have a family history of adenomatous polyps or colorectal cancer, you should talk with your doctor about the possible need to begin screening before age 50. You might start at age 40, or 10 years before the youngest case in the immediate family, whichever is earlier. If you have had adenomatous polyps or colorectal cancer, it's important to tell your close relatives so that they can pass along that information to their doctors and start screening at the right age.
William Wien
William Wien on behalf of MDLIVE
Family Medicine
Current recommendations would be to begin asymptomatic screening by age 40, and to repeat colonoscopy at least every 5 years. The purpose of this is to find and remove colon and rectal polyps before they can grow and degenerate into cancer.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Will heredity nonpolyposis colorectal carcinoma mean I'll get colon cancer?
Heredity nonpolyposis colorectal carcinoma (HNPCC) is a heredity gene mutation. It is also known as ...
Is obesity a risk factor for colorectal cancer?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Yes. If you are very overweight, your risk of developing and dying from colorectal cancer is increas...
Is Colon Cancer Caused By Bacteria?
Is Colon Cancer Caused By Bacteria?
The New Age Group at Risk for Colon Cancer