Am I more likely to get colorectal cancer if someone in my family has it?

Family history plays an important role in determining the risk of colon cancer. Relatives who are related to someone who has colon cancer are much more likely to have colon cancer. There are certain disease states such as ulcerative colitis and familial polyposis syndrome where the family member has a much higher likelihood of having cancer.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

What foods can affect the risk of colon cancer?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Studies have shown a slight increased risk of developing colorectal cancer among individuals with hi...
How does having breast cancer affect my risk for colon cancer?
Monica S. Borkar, MDMonica S. Borkar, MD
Some studies suggest a correlation and some do not. However, if the BRCA gene mutation is found as a...
The New Age Group at Risk for Colon Cancer
What Increases My Risk for Colon Cancer?