Are age and health history colon cancer risk factors?

Anything that increases your chance of getting a disease is called a risk factor. Having a risk factor does not mean that you will get cancer; not having risk factors doesn't mean that you will not get cancer. People who think they may be at risk should discuss this with their doctor. Risk factors include the following:

Age 50 or older A family history of cancer of the colon or rectum A personal history of cancer of the colon, rectum, ovary, endometrium, or breast A history of polyps (small pieces of bulging tissue) in the colon A history of ulcerative colitis (ulcers in the lining of the large intestine) or Crohn disease Certain hereditary conditions, such as familial adenomatous polyposis and hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer (HNPCC; Lynch Syndrome

This answer is based on the source infromation from the the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

What foods can affect the risk of colon cancer?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Studies have shown a slight increased risk of developing colorectal cancer among individuals with hi...
Should I be concerned about rectal bleeding?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Colon and rectal cancer is increasing in the younger population (under age 50). We do not know the r...
Is Colon Cancer Caused By Bacteria?
Is Colon Cancer Caused By Bacteria?
What Increases My Risk for Colon Cancer?