Will vitamin C and zinc cure my cold?

While some studies show that zinc lozenges taken every two hours during the first day of symptoms are beneficial, most studies are inconclusive. Likewise, no study consistently proves that vitamin C in orange juice, or any other vitamin or herb for that matter, will prevent a cold, or make an existing cold go away faster. Keep in mind that the profit-motivated companies that manufacture and distribute herbs and vitamins are non-FDA approved and are not required to prove efficacy. They can, and do, say whatever they want to promote their product.
Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist
While there’s no definite proof that vitamins or zinc lozenges can make your cold go away quicker, some research suggests that taking vitamin C regularly can result in milder symptoms and a shorter cold. Studies have also found that people who start using zinc lozenges in dosages of 70 milligrams or higher within 24 hours of the first signs of a cold may get better sooner.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

News: Flu Season Isn’t Over—Here's What to Know About Influenza B
If you haven't already received your flu shot, it’s still not too late. Though overall influenza activity has dropped greatly, we're not quite finishe...
Can having sex boost my immune system and prevent a cold?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
One Pennsylvania study found that college students who had sex once or twice a week had higher level...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?