Why is it important to protect my child from the flu?

Children are both highly likely to get the flu and the most likely to transmit it to others. In fact, studies find that:

• Children are more likely than adults to get the flu and to have complications with the illness. The flu is most serious in children under age two.
  • Families with school-age children experience more flu infections than those without because schools are ideal locations for viruses to attack and spread. On average, about one-third of family members of school-age children are infected with the flu each year.
  • Children do not have as much natural immunity to influenza as adults because they have had less lifetime exposure. Also, close contact with other children in school, home and daycare settings increases a child's risk of getting and spreading the virus.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Why Kids Get Sick So Often
Why Kids Get Sick So Often
Why Do Doctor's offices Have Old Magazines in the Waiting Room?
How to Stay Well During Cold and Flu Season
When Should I See A Doctor for a Cold or Flu?