Why is it important to protect my child from the flu?

Children are both highly likely to get the flu and the most likely to transmit it to others. In fact, studies find that:

• Children are more likely than adults to get the flu and to have complications with the illness. The flu is most serious in children under age two.
  • Families with school-age children experience more flu infections than those without because schools are ideal locations for viruses to attack and spread. On average, about one-third of family members of school-age children are infected with the flu each year.
  • Children do not have as much natural immunity to influenza as adults because they have had less lifetime exposure. Also, close contact with other children in school, home and daycare settings increases a child's risk of getting and spreading the virus.

It is important to protect your child from the flu (influenza) because children, especially very young children, are susceptable to getting more severe cases of the flu than healthy adults. Children are also exposed to more people who may have the flu (daycare, school, sports, etc). Therefore, they are more likely to get the flu and can pass it on to other members of the family. 

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

5 Reasons to Get a Flu Shot This Year
5 Reasons to Get a Flu Shot This Year
Did you decide to skip your flu shot this year? If so, you might want to rethink that. Here's why: Getting the shot is the single best way for nearly...
How can I reduce my risk for infections in the winter?
You can reduce your risk for infections in the winter by maintaining healthy lifestyle habits. By ea...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Is It a Cold or the Flu?
Is It a Cold or the Flu?