Why should I get a flu vaccination if I'm healthy?

Dr. Darria Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine Specialist

The flu can affect anyone, despite their level of health. In this video Darria Gillespie, MD, ER physician at Emory Hospital explains why even healthy adults should get the flu vaccine.

The flu vaccine is important for preventing the flu and increasing immunity among the community.

Even though you are healthy, the flu vaccination is recommended because it can protect you from the ill effects of the flu. It can also protect people around you from contracting the flu. All people older than 6 months of age are recommended to receive the flu vaccination unless they have a severe allergic reaction to eggs or one of the components in the flu vaccine. Even healthy people can contract the flu, so it is best to try to prevent it with the flu vaccination.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

The Smartest Way to Unstuff Your Nose
The Smartest Way to Unstuff Your Nose
A stuffy nose that just won't go away? Don't blame a lingering cold. Think allergies instead. Nearly a third of Americans, and hefty numbers of people...
How can saline nasal spray help prevent colds and flu?
Airborne pathogens enter through your nose and mouth and begin to encroach on your body’s protective...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Who Is at High Risk for Flu Complications?