Why are colds and flu more common in winter?

Health is one of the most desirable, yet most difficult to maintain, aspects of living. Often when people are healthy, they don’t appreciate their well­being. It’s only when health begins to decline that they begin to recognize its true value. This often occurs during the annual “cold and flu season.”

It may be surprising to know that there is a scientific explanation for why colds and the flu have a season. Viruses like influenza are more transmissible in low humidity and cold temperatures. In the autumn months, the temperature and humidity outside decreases, so many of us spend more time inside. Ironically, indoor heating also lowers humidity. Therefore the decrease in air temperature outside in the fall and winter, combined with the indoor heating, actually increases the transmission of the virus, thus creating the flu “season.”

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Myth or Fact: Feed a Cold, Starve a Fever
Sick? Don't Go Into the Office!
Sick? Don't Go Into the Office!
Can Gamers Solve Flu Epidemics?
Can Gamers Solve Flu Epidemics?
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?