Who can receive the intradermal flu vaccine?

The intradermal vaccine—a shot that is injected into the skin instead of the muscle—has been approved by FDA for use in adults 18 through 64 years of age and is now another vaccination option for people in this age group.

The regular flu shot continues to be an option for people 6 months and older, and the nasal spray vaccine is available for non-pregnant, healthy people ages 2 to 49.

Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrician
Almost anyone can receive the intradermal flu vaccine. Even babies who are six months old can receive the flu vaccine. People who are allergic to egg can usually get the flu vaccine.
The nasal spray flu vaccine is the kind that people with some chronic diseases may have to avoid. In addition, the nasal spray is only given to people two years and older, whereas the intradermal is safe for six months and older.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

What Are Natural Treatments for Cold and Flu?
Gamifying Science
Gamifying Science
How Is Folding Proteins Fun?
How Is Folding Proteins Fun?
When Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Flu Symptoms?