When do I need an antibiotic if I have a cold?

A common cold is typically caused by a virus, which does not require an antibiotic. Physicians don’t often prescribe an antibiotic for a cold.

You do not need an antibiotic if you have a cold. A cold is caused by a virus, and antibiotics do not help this kind of infection. If your symptoms last longer than two weeks and you have developed other symptoms such as a high fever, shortness of breath or intensifying pain, it is possible your cold has progressed to a bacterial infection. Your doctor may choose to prescribe antibiotics at that point.

Antibiotics are never an effective treatment against a cold, but may be needed to treat secondary infections.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Can the Flu Shot Really Save Your Life?
Can the Flu Shot Really Save Your Life?
We’ve all heard the advice to get the flu shot each fall. But is it really that important to do? The short answer: yes. The flu can be dangerous—eve...
Why can the flu be more dangerous for the elderly or chronically ill?
The flu can be more dangerous for certain people, including the elderly and those with a chronic...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Skip the Handshake and Try This Cool Move Instead