What supplements help prevent colds and flu?

A recent study showed that Chinese herbs can fight colds better than conventional medications such as Tamiflu. I recommend Yin Chao Jin. Talk with a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Go to www.NCCAOM.org to find one near you.

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine Specialist

Flu season coincides with winter. That means shorter days, less sun exposure and declining levels of vitamin D for many of us. Vitamin D is of profound importance to many, perhaps all, body systems, including the immune system.

A low level of the vitamin will not cause the flu, of course, and an adequate level won’t prevent it on its own. But an adequate level will help make you less vulnerable to infection in the first place, and better able to fight it off if you and the flu do meet up.

It’s always best to talk to your doctor about supplements, but as a rule, I recommend boosting vitamin D intake to 2000 IU throughout flu season.

Another bit of new advice is to put Panax ginseng to work for you. This variety of ginseng, native to North America, has been shown to reduce the frequency of the common cold by roughly 30% when taken daily throughout the cold and flu season; the typical dose is 200 mg. While flu-fighting potency has not been proven, it stands to reason that the antiviral properties that help fight off colds should help with flu prevention as well.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Can the Flu Shot Really Save Your Life?
Can the Flu Shot Really Save Your Life?
We’ve all heard the advice to get the flu shot each fall. But is it really that important to do? The short answer: yes. The flu can be dangerous—eve...
Will vitamin C and zinc cure my cold?
Dr. Lauren F. Streicher, MDDr. Lauren F. Streicher, MD
While some studies show that zinc lozenges taken every two hours during the first day of symptoms ar...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Why Do My Sinuses Get Congested?
Why Do My Sinuses Get Congested?