What are some side effects of the nasal-spray flu vaccine?

Note: A CDC panel concluded in 2016 that FluMist has not been effective in recent years. The panel did not recommend its use for the 2016-2017 flu season. 

The viruses in the nasal-spray flu vaccine (aka LAIV or FluMist) are weakened and do not cause severe symptoms often associated with influenza illness. (In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely.)

In children, side effects from LAIV (FluMist) can include:

• runny nose
  • wheezing
  • headache
  • vomiting
  • muscle aches
  • fever

In adults, side effects from LAIV (FluMist) can include:

• runny nose
  • headache
  • sore throat
  • cough

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Extra Pounds Can Prolong Your Flu Symptoms
The influenza pandemic of 1918 infected and affected almost everyone in the world. An estimated 50 million people died as a result, making it three ti...
How long does the flu last?
Most flu symptoms last about five to seven days. Experts say you are contagious about one day before...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Why Do My Sinuses Get Congested?
Why Do My Sinuses Get Congested?