What is the alternative to the flu vaccine injection for children?

Flu vaccines are available in two forms: injection and nasal spray. The injection form, which contains inactivated virus, is approved for children 6 months and older while the nasal spray, containing live but attenuated virus, is an alternative for healthy people between the ages of 2 and 49.

Because the flu vaccine is not approved for children younger than 6 months, the best way to protect these vulnerable infants is to make sure parents, elder siblings and caregivers all receive the vaccine.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Flu, Colds and Other Bugs: How to Stay Well
Busted! We admit it: We can be manic about shooing people home at the first snuffle or sneeze, even if they swear they feel well enough to work. Fine;...
How is flu activity tracked in the United States?
Flu activity in the United States is tracked by the Epidemiology and Prevention Branch in the Influe...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?