When should I talk to my doctor about my cold?

Call your doctor about your cold when you feel you’re getting worse instead of better. Your symptoms should improve after a week or so. If you develop a fever (102 degrees Fahrenheit or higher), shortness of breath, chest pain, a cough that produces phlegm, severe sinus pain, extremely swollen glands, ear pain, vomiting or any other symptom that causes you concern, you should see your doctor.
A cold will usually go away on its own in about a week, but if your symptoms last for more than 10 days, you run a fever of 100.4°F or higher, or your symptoms are not relieved by over-the-counter medications, see your doctor. Complications of the common cold can include sinus infection, ear infection, strep throat, bronchitis, and even pneumonia. People with asthma, compromised immune systems, or other chronic conditions should be especially careful in monitoring their health and seeing a doctor if the cold appears to be severe.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Stuffy Nose? This OTC Decongestant Won’t Help
A stuffy nose is enough to send you off to the drugstore, scouring the shelves for a decongestant. And while many decongestants market themselves as o...
What supplements help prevent colds and flu?
Dr. Laurence H. Altshuler, MDDr. Laurence H. Altshuler, MD
A recent study showed that Chinese herbs can fight colds better than conventional medications such a...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Nurse Mike Shares His Sore Throat Solutions