How can I get over a cold faster?

How can I get over a cold faster?

There’s no proven way to get over a cold faster. Some studies have found that sucking on zinc lozenges within 24 hours of the first symptoms of a cold may shorten it. Otherwise, do all you can to feel better as quickly as possible: Get plenty of rest, drink at least eight glasses of fluid a day and use a humidifier in your home to keep the mucus in your nose moist so that you can easily blow it and rid your body of the cold virus.
Everybody seems to have their own special remedy for curing a cold. The truth is, you can't really cure a cold; you can only speed its course.

And there have only been three things that have been shown to really have an effect on speeding one up-chicken soup, zinc lozenges, and vitamin C (though we don't know why they work, research has shown that they do).

You should consume any of the three at the moment you start feeling symptoms. Your options:
  • take 500 milligrams of vitamin C four times each day with plenty of water immediately at the start of cold symptoms and for the next two or three days, or
  • take one zinc lozenge every 6 hours, beginning at the start of cold symptoms and for the next two or three days, or
  • eat a cup of chicken soup four times a day at the onset of symptoms.
Doing any of the above can reduce the average time that a cold lasts from roughly five days to three.

Why did I leave out good old echinacea? Recent studies have found that it doesn't do a darn thing for colds.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Cold and Flu

Cold and Flu

Colds and flu are both viral infections, but have different symptoms. With a cold you will have symptoms such as a runny nose or a sore throat. Flu symptoms come on suddenly and may include fever, body aches or vomiting. While the...

re is no cure for either, there are treatments -- chicken soup, nasal sprays, rest -- which can help your feel better.