How can I prevent the flu as I age?

As you grow older, preventing the flu involves getting the flu shot and staying away from sick people.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

As you age, taking steps to prevent the flu (influenza) becomes even more important. Men and women who are 65 years of age and older who get the flu have a higher risk for complications, which can include: pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infections and ear infections. To lower your risk for the flu, take these steps:

• Get the flu vaccine every year as soon as it's available.
  • Wash your hands with soap and water frequently. When soap and water aren't available, use alcohol-based hand cleaners.
  • Avoid touching your mouth, eyes and nose as much as possible.
  • Avoid contact with people who have the flu.
  • If you have close contact with someone who has the flu, consider asking your doctor about taking an antiviral medication.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

How to Stay Healthy in a House Full of Sick People
It’s no secret that the 2017–2018 flu season was one of the worst in years. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), influen...
Where can I find more information about the Fluzone High-Dose flu vaccine?
More information about Fluzone High-Dose is available on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) web ...
5 Cold Remedies to Get You Through Winter
5 Cold Remedies to Get You Through Winter5 Cold Remedies to Get You Through Winter5 Cold Remedies to Get You Through Winter5 Cold Remedies to Get You Through Winter
Try vitamin C, a humidifer and more to ease your coughing, sneezing and sore throat.
Nurse Mike Shares His Sore Throat Solutions