Who can use the nasal spray flu vaccine?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Note: A CDC panel concluded in 2016 that FluMist has not been effective in recent years. The panel did not recommend its use for the 2016-2017 flu season.

The intranasal spray flu vaccine, which contains live, but weakened, influenza virus cells and is sprayed into the nostrils, is recommended for healthy, non-pregnant people between the ages of 2 and 49 who do not have certain chronic health conditions.

The flu shot, which contains dead flu virus cells, is a better option for people 50 and older, children between 6 and 23 months, pregnant women and those with weakened immune systems. Your doctor can help you decide which form of flu vaccine is right for you.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Prevent Colds With Mushrooms
Prevent Colds With Mushrooms
How Is This Video Game Different from Others?
Why Do My Sinuses Get Congested?
Why Do My Sinuses Get Congested?
When Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Flu Symptoms?