How are the viruses for the flu vaccine selected?

Each year, many laboratories throughout the world, including in the United States, collect flu viruses. Some of these flu viruses are sent to one of five World Health Organization (WHO) reference laboratories, one of which is at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, for detailed testing. These laboratories also test how well antibodies made to the current vaccine react to the circulating virus and new flu viruses.

This information, along with information about flu activity, is summarized and presented to an advisory committee of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and at a WHO meeting. These meetings result in the selection of three viruses (two subtypes of influenza A viruses and one influenza B virus) to go into flu vaccines for the following fall and winter.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

5 Questions to Ask If You Have a Respiratory Infection
A good friend called me the other night – she’d been coughing for several days and now she had a fever and chest pain (oh, and it was 11 o’clock at n...
How soon do flu symptoms develop after being exposed to a virus?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Flu symptoms usually develop three to four days after being exposed to the flu virus. The typical in...
Should I use a nasal spray for my cold symptoms?
If you are an adult, you can use a decongestant nasal spray containing active ingredients like pheny...
What supplements help prevent colds and flu?
Dr. Laurence H. Altshuler, MDDr. Laurence H. Altshuler, MD
A recent study showed that Chinese herbs can fight colds better than conventional medications such a...