How can I tell whether I have a cold or the flu?

The symptoms of the flu come on suddenly and include a fever (usually high), headache, muscle aches, severe deep cough with mucus production, tiredness, weakness and chest discomfort. Sometimes it involves a stuffy nose, sneezing and sore throat. A cold, on the other hand, rarely causes a fever, headache, extreme exhaustion or severe aches and pains. The most prominent cold symptoms are a stuffy nose, runny nose with clear secretions, sneezing, sore throat and a mild to moderate cough.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Although some of the symptoms are similar, colds and the flu are distinctive conditions, each caused by a different type of virus. While the majority of flu cases are caused by viruses in the family orthomyxovirus (which the flu shot targets), colds can be the result of many different types of viruses. You can tell the difference by asking yourself: “Are the symptoms in my head or my whole body?”

Colds symptoms appear slowly over a few days and mainly affect your head; you’ll have congestion, sneezing, a sore throat, or cough. Conversely, the flu affects your whole body and comes on suddenly. You’ll experience pain and body aches, GI symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea, and a fever.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Nasal Spray Dependency Is Nothing to Sneeze At
“Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose” is a line from a poem by the writer Gertrude Stein, who helped make Paris a hot spot for the bohemian set in the ...
What foods can help me avoid catching a cold or the flu?
Steel your body against a season of colds and the flu. Boost your immunity with these Oz-approve...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?