How can I tell whether I have a cold or the flu?

The symptoms of the flu come on suddenly and include a fever (usually high), headache, muscle aches, severe deep cough with mucus production, tiredness, weakness and chest discomfort. Sometimes it involves a stuffy nose, sneezing and sore throat. A cold, on the other hand, rarely causes a fever, headache, extreme exhaustion or severe aches and pains. The most prominent cold symptoms are a stuffy nose, runny nose with clear secretions, sneezing, sore throat and a mild to moderate cough.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Although some of the symptoms are similar, colds and the flu are distinctive conditions, each caused by a different type of virus. While the majority of flu cases are caused by viruses in the family orthomyxovirus (which the flu shot targets), colds can be the result of many different types of viruses. You can tell the difference by asking yourself: “Are the symptoms in my head or my whole body?”

Colds symptoms appear slowly over a few days and mainly affect your head; you’ll have congestion, sneezing, a sore throat, or cough. Conversely, the flu affects your whole body and comes on suddenly. You’ll experience pain and body aches, GI symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea, and a fever.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Home Remedy for Colds: Sip Hot Tea
Home Remedy for Colds: Sip Hot Tea
If you managed to walk away from the holidays without your nephew’s, aunt’s, or fellow plane-passenger’s cold, good for you. But if not, here’s a quic...
How can I boost my immune system during cold and flu season?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
Eating a healthy diet is important. In general, stick to fresh fruits, vegetables and vitamin C-fill...
Your Cold and Flu Season Survival Guide
Your Cold and Flu Season Survival GuideYour Cold and Flu Season Survival GuideYour Cold and Flu Season Survival GuideYour Cold and Flu Season Survival Guide
From opening a window for a little fresh air to disinfecting your kids’ toys, these easy tips can keep you healthy during cold and flu season.
Skip the Handshake and Try This Cool Move Instead