How can I tell whether I have a cold or the flu?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Although some of the symptoms are similar, colds and the flu are distinctive conditions, each caused by a different type of virus. While the majority of flu cases are caused by viruses in the family orthomyxovirus (which the flu shot targets), colds can be the result of many different types of viruses. You can tell the difference by asking yourself: “Are the symptoms in my head or my whole body?”

Colds symptoms appear slowly over a few days and mainly affect your head; you’ll have congestion, sneezing, a sore throat, or cough. Conversely, the flu affects your whole body and comes on suddenly. You’ll experience pain and body aches, GI symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea, and a fever.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

The symptoms of the flu come on suddenly and include a fever (usually high), headache, muscle aches, severe deep cough with mucus production, tiredness, weakness and chest discomfort. Sometimes it involves a stuffy nose, sneezing and sore throat. A cold, on the other hand, rarely causes a fever, headache, extreme exhaustion or severe aches and pains. The most prominent cold symptoms are a stuffy nose, runny nose with clear secretions, sneezing, sore throat and a mild to moderate cough.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

9 Flu Vaccine Myths That Can Make You Sick
It’s baaaack. And by “it,” I mean flu season. There are many myths and misconceptions about the flu vaccine. Read on for comments I’ve heard from my o...
Why can the flu be more dangerous for the elderly or chronically ill?
The flu can be more dangerous for certain people, including the elderly and those with a chronic...
How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year
How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year
From opening a window for a little fresh air to disinfecting your kids’ toys, these easy tips can keep you healthy during cold and flu season.
Why Kids Get Sick So Often
Why Kids Get Sick So Often