How can I help protect my children from the flu?

Because influenza is spread through droplets in the air, children suffering from flu should stay out of school until they are no longer contagious—usually five to seven days. Children at risk of developing complications may receive anti-viral medications such as Tamiflu. Hand washing, covering coughs and using alcohol-based gels can help stop the virus from spreading, but the most effective approach for prevention is the flu vaccine.

The single best way to protect your children from the flu is to get them vaccinated each year. The seasonal flu vaccine protects against three influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the season: an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus and an influenza B virus.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Should I Call in Sick Today?
Should I Call in Sick Today?
Do you have symptoms of a cold or the flu? Wondering if it’s okay to go to work? It’s important to understand some key facts about each illness to ta...
Are there vaccines to prevent a cold?
There are no vaccines for preventing colds. Researchers have found it difficult to develop an effect...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Gamifying Science
Gamifying Science