How can chronic illness affect my risk of complications from the flu?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Chronic diseases such as diabetes, lung disease, heart disease, or kidney problems, increase your risk of getting influenza and of developing complications. Illnesses that require you to be on medications that suppress the immune system also increase your risk, as do diseases that affect the immune system such as HIV. Asthma, some blood disorders like sickle cell disease, some neurological or metabolic disorders, and morbid obesity also put you at higher risk of complications.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year
How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year
From opening a window for a little fresh air to disinfecting your kids’ toys, these easy tips can keep you healthy during cold and flu season. ‘Tis th...
Gamifying Science
Gamifying Science
Prevent Colds With Mushrooms
Prevent Colds With Mushrooms
Why Do My Sinuses Get Congested?
Why Do My Sinuses Get Congested?