How can saline nasal spray help prevent colds and flu?

Airborne pathogens enter through your nose and mouth and begin to encroach on your body’s protective barriers. As they’re absorbed, they can spark an immune reaction and cause a cold or flu. The chances of getting sick are increased if your nasal passages are dry, a common occurrence in cold weather.

Without any lubrication, the nose can’t flush out bacteria, which results in a safe haven for germs. Saline nasal spray is a simple remedy that helps to flush out mucus and bacteria. Adding moisture to the nasal passages also helps to combat stuffiness, congestion, and further infection. Look for a spray that has purified water and sodium chloride to get the purest, most effective spray.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now
4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now
Try easing your coughing, sneezing, and sore throat with these smart at-home solutions. The common cold is a viral infection that can be spread by di...
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
Who Is at High Risk for Flu Complications?
Why Do Doctor's offices Have Old Magazines in the Waiting Room?