How well matched is the flu vaccine to each year's circulating viruses?

In recent years the match between the vaccine viruses and those identified during the flu season has usually been good. In 18 of the last 22 U.S. influenza seasons, the viruses in the influenza vaccine have been well matched to the predominant circulating viruses. Since 1990, there has only been one season (1997-98) when there was very low cross-reaction between the viruses in the seasonal vaccine and the predominant circulating virus, and three seasons (1992-93, 2003-04, and 2007-08) when there was low cross-reaction.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

9 Flu Vaccine Myths That Can Make You Sick
It’s baaaack. And by “it,” I mean flu season. There are a few major changes with flu shot recommendations this year, which translates into many new my...
How dangerous is seasonal flu for children?
Children are both highly likely to get the flu and the most likely to transmit it to others. In fact...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
What Is Eucalyptus Oil?
What Is Eucalyptus Oil?