How well matched is the flu vaccine to each year's circulating viruses?

In recent years the match between the vaccine viruses and those identified during the flu season has usually been good. In 18 of the last 22 U.S. influenza seasons, the viruses in the influenza vaccine have been well matched to the predominant circulating viruses. Since 1990, there has only been one season (1997-98) when there was very low cross-reaction between the viruses in the seasonal vaccine and the predominant circulating virus, and three seasons (1992-93, 2003-04, and 2007-08) when there was low cross-reaction.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

What Are Natural Treatments for Cold and Flu?
Myth or Fact: Feed a Cold, Starve a Fever
How Can I Boost My Immune System During Cold and Flu Season?
Why Kids Get Sick So Often
Why Kids Get Sick So Often