How is flu activity tracked in the United States?

Flu activity in the United States is tracked by the Epidemiology and Prevention Branch in the Influenza Division at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This agency collects, compiles and analyzes information on year-round influenza activity in the United States. It produces FluView, a weekly influenza surveillance report, and FluView Interactive, which allows for more in-depth exploration of flu surveillance data. The U.S. influenza surveillance system is a collaborative effort between the CDC and its many partners in state, local and territorial health departments, public health and clinical laboratories, vital statistics offices, healthcare providers, clinics and emergency departments. Information in five categories collected from eight different data sources allows the CDC to: 

• Find out when and where influenza activity is occurring
  • Track influenza-related illness
  • Determine what flu viruses are spreading
  • Detect changes in influenza viruses
  • Measure the impact the flu is having on hospitalizations and deaths in the United States

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Surviving the Flu: Symptoms, Treatment and Danger Signs
Here’s one thing you can count on: The flu season is unpredictable. Some years it might be mild, and others it could be brutal. Why is one flu season...
What should I do if I have diabetes and I get the flu?
If you have diabetes, you are two to three times more likely to be hospitalized and three times more...
7 Cold and Flu Myths That Definitely Aren’t True
7 Cold and Flu Myths That Definitely Aren’t True7 Cold and Flu Myths That Definitely Aren’t True7 Cold and Flu Myths That Definitely Aren’t True7 Cold and Flu Myths That Definitely Aren’t True
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Prevent Colds With Mushrooms
Prevent Colds With Mushrooms