How is flu activity tracked in the United States?

Flu activity in the United States is tracked by the Epidemiology and Prevention Branch in the Influenza Division at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This agency collects, compiles and analyzes information on year-round influenza activity in the United States. It produces FluView, a weekly influenza surveillance report, and FluView Interactive, which allows for more in-depth exploration of flu surveillance data. The U.S. influenza surveillance system is a collaborative effort between the CDC and its many partners in state, local and territorial health departments, public health and clinical laboratories, vital statistics offices, healthcare providers, clinics and emergency departments. Information in five categories collected from eight different data sources allows the CDC to: 

• Find out when and where influenza activity is occurring
  • Track influenza-related illness
  • Determine what flu viruses are spreading
  • Detect changes in influenza viruses
  • Measure the impact the flu is having on hospitalizations and deaths in the United States

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now
4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now
Try easing your coughing, sneezing, and sore throat with these smart at-home solutions. The common cold is a viral infection that can be spread by di...
Can Gamers Solve Flu Epidemics?
Can Gamers Solve Flu Epidemics?
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
Can Games Make Us Healthier?
Can Games Make Us Healthier?