How do cold and flu affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Usually, the first effect of influenza on the body is a fever with chills and muscle aches. You may also have a fever, fatigue and a headache. Remember, the flu is caused by a group of viruses that infect the respiratory system. As a result, effects on the body often focus on the throat, nose, and lungs. The nose may become congested or runny, the throat may become sore, and a cough may move from dry to wet as the virus runs its course.

The common cold primarily produces sneezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, and a sore throat. Other symptoms, such as fatigue, headache, and fever, may be mild or not occur at all.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year
How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This YearHow to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year
From opening a window for a little fresh air to disinfecting your kids’ toys, these easy tips can keep you healthy during cold and flu season. ‘Tis th...
Can Gamers Solve Flu Epidemics?
Can Gamers Solve Flu Epidemics?
When Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Flu Symptoms?
Who Is at High Risk for Flu Complications?