Q

Cold and Flu

How long does it take to get a cold after exposure to the virus?

• A , Pharmacy, answered
    You will typically begin to notice symptoms, such as a runny or stuffed-up nose, coughing or a scratchy throat about two or three days after you become infected with the virus that causes the common cold. Other symptoms of the common cold can include: sneezing, a fever, headaches, watery eyes and fatigue.

• A Family Medicine, answered on behalf of
    It takes about two days to get a cold after exposure to the virus. In this video, Larry Gooss, DO, a family practice doctor at Chippenham & Johnston-Willis Hospitals, explains how virus can continue to live on surfaces.
  • A Pediatrics, answered on behalf of
    Cold symptoms usually appear 24-72 hours after you come into contact with the cold virus. The virus that causes the common cold can spread quickly. You can catch a cold if you are near someone who has one or if you touch something that has been contaminated with the virus. To prevent catching a cold, wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Don't touch your eyes or nose, especially if you haven't washed your hands. 
    1 person found this helpful.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    How Long Before I Catch That colds
    Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about catching a cold.

1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Can I exercise if I have a cold?