Does gargling with tap water help prevent colds?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Research has found that gargling with tap water may help prevent colds. In one study of nearly 400 healthy people, those who gargled with tap water three times a day had fewer colds during prime cold and flu season than did people who didn’t gargle. Even when a gargler caught a cold, he or she was less likely to develop bronchial problems than non-garglers.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Tamiflu: Should You Worry About Side Effects?
This year's flu season, as you probably know, is shaping up as one of the worst in some time. If you do become sick, you can ask your doctor for an an...
Why should I avoid touching my face if I want to prevent colds and flu?
Sampson M. Davis, MDSampson M. Davis, MD
You should avoid touching your face if you want to avoid cold and flu because the most common way ge...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
How Is This Video Game Different from Others?