How does fexofenadine treat allergy symptoms?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Since fexofenadine is an antihistamine, it blocks the effects of histamine, namely allergy symptoms. That means it decreases itchiness, sneezing and itchy, watery eyes, and dries up nasal passages. Antihistamines don’t cure allergies. Instead, they’re used to control the symptoms.

Fexofenadine does have the potential to cause incorrect results on allergy tests, especially skin tests. Your doctor may ask you to stop using fexofenadine before a skin test, but you can ask about other ways to reduce your allergy symptoms.

Continue Learning about Cold/Cough Agent

Why would I take cough syrup with an expectorant and a suppressant?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Ever wonder why some cough syrups have an expectorant (guaifenisen) and a cough suppressant? Do ...
What are the side effects of Dilex-G 400?
MediGuardMediGuard
The most common side effects of Dilex-G 400 are related to the dyphylline component of the drug - it...
What should I know about taking fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine?
Fexofenadine-pseudoephedrine is not intended for children. If you have taken an MAOI (monoamine oxid...
Is Cold and Cough Medicine Safe for Toddlers?