Why would I take cough syrup with an expectorant and a suppressant?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Ever wonder why some cough syrups have an expectorant (guaifenisen) and a cough suppressant? Do you want to loosen it up and cough it out, or stop the cough? Well, actually, a combination of expectorant and cough suppressant is not bad. It stops the annoying little throat tickle type cough, but allows you to cough effectively to clear your lungs.

Continue Learning about Cold/Cough Agent

What should I know about taking fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine?
Fexofenadine-pseudoephedrine is not intended for children. If you have taken an MAOI (monoamine oxid...
What side effects does Guaifenesin with Dextromethorphan cause?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 15% of patients experien...
Is cough medicine helpful?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
YES & NO! TRULY follow this carefully:YES- if it suppresses cough from allergy/inflammation/irritati...
Is Cold and Cough Medicine Safe for Toddlers?