What are healthy alternatives to coffee?

While coffee can initially give you a rush of energy, drinking too many cups can actually result in a feeling of burnout. Instead, try white tea, which is unfermented tea made from new growth buds and young leaves of the plant. Because white tea goes through even less processing than black or green tea, it contains the highest levels of the amino acid L-theanine to help you stay more alert.

Guarana, a tropical berry that grows in the Amazon, has been shown to have the same stimulatory effect as other caffeinated sources but with a much more gradual and sustained boost of energy. Try 200 to 800 milligrams (1 to 3 tablets) before breakfast or lunchtime.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Coffee & Health

Enjoy a Cup of Coffee to Boost Your Health
Americans drink around 146 billion cups of coffee annually, so it’s a good thing that the morning booster has plenty of health benefits. A review publ...
Can I get the same hydration from coffee as I do water?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
Yes, or at least very close. Coffee, as I am sure you know from making it or watching it being made,...
What are the health risks of too much caffeine?
Nicole Avena, PhDNicole Avena, PhD
Although caffeine is considered to be very safe, serious health risks like cardiovascular issues can...
3 Big Benefits of Coffee
3 Big Benefits of Coffee