How long does it take for caffeine to leave your system?

The half-life, which is the time required by the body to metabolize or inactivate 1/2 of a substance activity, for caffeine (doses lower than 4.50mg/lb) ranges from 2.5 to 10hrs. Meaning, caffeine has little to no pharmacological effect after this time but may still be present in small amounts in the body. The variability in rates of elimination is due to an individual’s efficiency in metabolizing caffeine, not absorption. The modern average cup (8oz) of coffee may contain 100-200mgs of caffeine so its effects should be inactivated within 2-5hrs depending on individuality. But it may take the full day to eliminate all traces of caffeine from the body.

Continue Learning about Coffee & Health

Enjoy a Cup of Coffee to Boost Your Health
Americans drink around 146 billion cups of coffee annually, so it’s a good thing that the morning booster has plenty of health benefits. A review publ...
What does my favorite coffee drink say about my personality?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Our personalities have a lot to do with the choices we make, including the habits we have around foo...
Is coffee harmful to my health?
Will Clower, PhDWill Clower, PhD
Historically coffee was always considered to be a healthful drink. Then modern 19th century experts ...
The Best Way to Make Cold Brew Coffee
The Best Way to Make Cold Brew Coffee