How long does it take for caffeine to leave your system?

The half-life, which is the time required by the body to metabolize or inactivate 1/2 of a substance activity, for caffeine (doses lower than 4.50mg/lb) ranges from 2.5 to 10hrs. Meaning, caffeine has little to no pharmacological effect after this time but may still be present in small amounts in the body. The variability in rates of elimination is due to an individual’s efficiency in metabolizing caffeine, not absorption. The modern average cup (8oz) of coffee may contain 100-200mgs of caffeine so its effects should be inactivated within 2-5hrs depending on individuality. But it may take the full day to eliminate all traces of caffeine from the body.

Continue Learning about Coffee & Health

Get Regular with a Cup of Coffee
Get Regular with a Cup of Coffee
Paris Hilton is a media-loving deb-celeb whose on air and real life antics might make you a touch, well, unsettled; she did launch her so-called caree...
What does my favorite coffee drink say about my personality?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Our personalities have a lot to do with the choices we make, including the habits we have around foo...
What are the health risks of too much caffeine?
Nicole Avena, PhDNicole Avena, PhD
Although caffeine is considered to be very safe, serious health risks like cardiovascular issues can...
The Coffee With The Most Health Benefits