How can drinking coffee cause night sweats?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Coffee is an especially common trigger of night sweats, and it's a beverage that is more popular than ever. The number of specialty coffee shops is multiplying, and the coffee cups are getting larger -- an extra-large Dunkin' Donuts cup of hot coffee is 24 ounces; a "Venti" at Starbucks is 20 ounces. The more coffee you drink, the longer it takes to eliminate the caffeine from your body. Half the caffeine in a cup of coffee consumed by a healthy, non-pregnant adult is eliminated in six hours. If you drink a large cup of coffee (which may have 200 milligrams of caffeine) at 4:00 p.m., 100 milligrams of caffeine will be eliminated from your body by 10:00 p.m., leaving another 100 milligrams in your body that evening. This will disrupt your normal sleep pattern and promote night sweats.

Continue Learning about Coffee & Health

Can I Drink Coffee on the Ornish Program?
Photo Credit: Amanda Mathson, via http://amandamathson.co/ Are you one of the 87% of Americans who reach for a morning cup of joe or tea to jumpstart...
Does coffee affect my risk of endometrial cancer?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
There's a surprising relationship between your coffee habit and your risk of endometrial cancer....
How does drinking coffee affect blood sugar?
Eating high-fat, high-calorie fast food can cause elevated blood sugar levels. And a study suggests ...
Can Coffee Prevent Cancer?
Can Coffee Prevent Cancer?