Does coffee affect the prostate?

Gary Wenk
Recent epidemiological evidence suggests that drinking about five regular cups of coffee each day for many years is linked to a lower risk of prostate cancer. It is still too soon to be sure, however, there is good reason to suspect that this epidemiological report is true. Coffee contains a potent blend of anti-oxidants that might be protective. Also, in men, coffee consumption is positively correlated with testosterone levels in the blood; it's difficult to say how this contributes to its benefits in men. Long-term coffee consumption is correlated with a significantly reduced risk of type 2 diabetes; possibly improved sugar metabolism underlies coffees actions in the prostate. Caffeine is known to exhibit some estrogenic effects; possibly these actions are beneficial to the prostate. As you can see, there is ample indirect evidence that coffee drinking will protect the prostate. What is still missing is hard evidence for a specific mechanism. 

Continue Learning about Coffee & Health

Drink Coffee for Brain, Heart and Immune Health
According to the Oxford Dictionary blog, three unusual words for a cuppa coffee are: Skilly—nautical slang for a too-weak brew; Sergeant-major—militar...
Can drinking coffee in the morning cause fatigue later in the day?
Many of us turn to coffee or tea for a morning pick-me-up, but it could be the cause of your fatigue...
How do I lower my caffeine intake?
Dr. Nicole Avena, PhDDr. Nicole Avena, PhD
To lower your caffeine intake, you need to be aware of your main sources of caffeine and slowly tape...
Caffeine and Prostate Cancer
Caffeine and Prostate Cancer