What's the coffee-liver connection?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Coffee has many health benefits but we don't know if it's good for the liver. In this video, Robin Miller, MD shares the upside of java and how it may prevent an auto-immune disease of the liver.
There seems to be a relationship between having two or more 8-ounce (300 mg or so of caffeine) cups of coffee a day and good liver health. This amount is less than the 6 cups needed to decrease the risk of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease and the three cups to reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes.

At the same time, you should also avoid having more than 3 drinks of alcohol a day-for its toxic effects on both your pancreas and liver.

Continue Learning about Coffee & Health

Ask Dr. Darria: Can Too Much Caffeine be Harmful?
I start my morning with a cup of coffee and then drink several more cups throughout the day. Is this bad for my health? Lately, we’ve been bombarded ...
What are the health benefits of drinking coffee?
Enough studies have now been performed that we can say with confidence that six or more cups (4 ounc...
Does coffee affect my risk of endometrial cancer?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
There's a surprising relationship between your coffee habit and your risk of endometrial cancer....
What Kind of Coffee Drinker Are You?
What Kind of Coffee Drinker Are You?