How does clozapine work?

Clozapine is an atypical antipsychotic that works by reducing or blocking dopamine, a chemical that regulates mood and behavior, in the brain. It is believed that schizophrenic people have more than a normal amount of dopamine. Clozapine controls the dopamine levels and reduces the hallucinations, delusions, and agitation associated with schizophrenia. It also works to lessen suicidal tendencies.

Continue Learning about Clozapine

Who should take clozapine?
Clozapine is administered to control and reduce the symptoms of people suffering from severe sch...
Is there a generic version of clozapine?
Clozapine (brand name Clozaril) became available for sale as a generic drug in April 2005. Manuf...
What should I do if I overdose on clozapine?
If you or someone you know may have taken too much clozapine, contact your local poison control ...
What should I know about clozapine before taking it?
Clozapine is administered to those diagnosed with severe schizophrenia and/or suicidal tendencie...