What sounds will I hear from my CardioWest total artificial heart (TAH)?

Andrew J. Boyle, MD
There are several sounds you may notice after the CardioWest total artificial heart (TAH) -- a pump used to replace your failing heart -- has been implanted. When the TAH pumps, it makes a clicking sound. This sound can change in volume depending on your position. Some patients have trouble sleeping at first because of the clicking sound and the need to sleep on their backs. Occasionally you may hear beeping sounds, which informs the caregiver about the TAH's status. The console that runs the device also will also make noise when it pumps.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

Heart Failure and Heart Rhythm: The Link You Need to Know About
The heart acts as a pump, sending oxygen-rich blood out to the body and oxygen-depleted blood to the lungs. To execute its duties, it must contract wi...
Why is embolization needed for an AVM in the brain?
Dr. Geoffrey P. Colby, MDDr. Geoffrey P. Colby, MD
In some cases, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) in the brain, particularly very large AVMs, have t...
Are operations for mitral valve disease becoming more common?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Operations for mitral valve disease are becoming more common, according to researchers studying tren...
Dr. Craig Smith - What are the Risks Associated with LVADs?