What sounds will I hear from my CardioWest total artificial heart (TAH)?

Andrew J. Boyle, MD
There are several sounds you may notice after the CardioWest total artificial heart (TAH) -- a pump used to replace your failing heart -- has been implanted. When the TAH pumps, it makes a clicking sound. This sound can change in volume depending on your position. Some patients have trouble sleeping at first because of the clicking sound and the need to sleep on their backs. Occasionally you may hear beeping sounds, which informs the caregiver about the TAH's status. The console that runs the device also will also make noise when it pumps.

Continue Learning about Heart and Circulatory System

Staying the Course on Your Coronary Artery Disease Treatment
It sounds simple enough on paper: When you have a chronic condition like coronary artery disease (also known as CAD), it’s important to take your medi...
What is stenosis?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Stenosis is the narrowing of a blood vessel, heart valve, or other bodily passage. With a heart valv...
What causes cold feet?
Many things can cause cold feet. Assuming there are no underlying medical conditions, the most commo...
Dr. Craig Smith - What Is Transcatheter Aortic-Valve Implantation (TAVI)?